Yes, mayonnaise is fine to have. We recommend choosing a full fat option, as the low fat varieties will often have added sugar or artificial sweeteners, which we recommend avoiding where possible.
Alternatively, you could also have a go at making your own using this recipe:
Prep and cooking time: 15 minutes
- 180ml avocado or light-tasting olive oil / nut oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp wine or cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1-2 tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature 30 mins before making the mayo
- Separate the egg yolk and put it in a food processor or blender with the mustard
- Turn on the food processor VERY SLOWLY and start to drizzle in the oil
- Keep SLOWLY drizzling in the oil until the mixture just starts to thicken. Add 1/4 tsp, black pepper, and the vinegar.
- Continue adding the oil in a slow stream until it's all added, then finish with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix in and taste a small amount on a teaspoon.
- If too acidic, add more oil. If too oily, add 1 tbsp lemon juice and/or a little more salt. If too thick, add 1 tbsp water.
- Seal in a container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week