We recommend you limit alcohol while focusing on improving your diet and lifestyle.
However, we understand there'll be times when you’d like to enjoy a drink - and that’s ok!
Here are our top tips to help you reduce your alcohol intake:
- Set yourself a challenge to not drink alcohol during the week
- Aim to have one to two drinks max in one sitting. If you’re at an event, alternate with water (still or sparkling) and make sure you have a balanced meal.
- Avoid / limit beer, cider, and drinks or mixers that contain added sugar (i.e. tonic water, fruit juices, regular fizzy drinks, and energy drinks)
- Opt for smaller glasses of wine or single spirits. Choose mixers like soda water or sparkling water with fresh lemon, lime, or cucumber, and dry wines rather than sweet wines.
- When you do drink, have it over a relaxing meal or with friends and enjoy it, rather than mindlessly drinking while distracted in front of the TV
- Offer to be the designated driver – a good excuse to have no alcohol at all!
We'll be covering the impacts of alcohol on your weight and health in more detail throughout the programme articles.