Please note: If your scales don't have the Second Nature name on them, please follow these instructions here.
Step 1- Here’s how to set up your phone and scales correctly:
Make sure your scales are on a firm, flat, even surface. This will ensure weight readings are accurate and consistent. Do not use on carpet, rug, or uneven tiled flooring.
- Download the Second Nature app from either the Apple Store or Google Play Store.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet.
- When using an Android device, please also ensure GPS is switched on and location permissions are enabled for the Second Nature app.
- Remove scales from the box and put in 3 x AAA batteries.
- Place the scales on a firm, even surface. Using your fingers and alternate pushing down firmly on two opposite corners of the scales. If the scales are on a flat surface, you should not hear any sound. On an uneven surface, the scales will make a noise as you alternate pressure on the two corners. If the scales aren’t perfectly stable, weight readings risk being inaccurate or inconsistent.
Step 2- You will firstly need to take a weight reading before you can pair the scales to the Second Nature app:
Please follow the instructions below:
- Open the Second Nature app and step on the scales (with bare feet).
- Once your weight reading has been taken, it will blink twice. Keep standing on the scales while this happens and wait until four zeros (0000) go across the screen. This should take 5-10 seconds. If the zeros don't appear, step off the scales for a few seconds and step back on with bare feet. Follow the same procedure.
- Once the zeros have passed, your weight reading will reappear.
Immediately after your weight reading reappears:
- Go to the ‘Track’ page in the app
- Go to ‘My devices’ at the top right of the screen
- Select ‘Pair new scales'
Once the scales have been paired to the app, a green banner will appear at the top of your screen and your first weight reading will be synced to your account. You can view this reading on the 'Track' page.
The scales will then remain paired to the app, unless you log out of your account. The scales would then need to be re-paired.
Step 3- The next time you want to take a weight reading you can follow these steps:
- Open your Second Nature app (your phone should be connected to Bluetooth and GPS switched on for Android) and head to the ‘Track’ page
- Step on the scales with bare feet to take a weight reading. Wait until the four zeros (0000) go across the screen to step off.
- After the four zeros go across the screen, you’ll see your reading automatically updated in the graph of your ‘Track’ page. This might take up to 10 seconds.
How do I change my weight units on the scales?
The scales are able to display your weight readings in lbs and kg. The first reading on the scales may show up in lbs. Afterwards it will automatically calibrate and change to show the unit you have selected when you signed up for the programme. You can also set your preferred units within the Second Nature app by going to ‘Settings’, clicking on ‘Weight unit’ under ‘Tracking’, and selecting your preferred option. If your preferred weight unit is st and lbs, the scales will keep showing in lbs. The app will then automatically convert your weight reading.
My scales show different readings when I move them on my floor, why?
Tiled floors or carpeted areas can often be a problem when using weighing scales. If the surface is not very flat then any slight imbalances may cause weight readings to be slightly inaccurate or inconsistent. The best way to avoid this is to make sure that your Second Nature scales are on a firm and flat surface (and not in the grooves in between tiles). It can also help to try and use your scales in the same place to make sure readings are consistent.
Can I still manually sync my weight?
Yes, you can still manually sync your weight by going to the ‘My Devices’ section within the ‘Track’ page but you shouldn’t need to if you have the app open.
The ‘Sync scales’ button has disappeared
When completely logging out and back into the app or if you’ve deleted and re-downloaded the app, your scales will get disconnected. You’ll need to re-pair the scales to the app.
I don’t want to have my phone on me while taking a weight reading. Can I sync my weight later?
Yes, you can take a weight reading following the instructions described in Step 3 (make sure the four zeros go across the screen) then come back to the scales later. To sync your weight reading later, firmly tap or quickly step on and back off the scales to turn them on and have your Second Nature app open (with Bluetooth and GPS on android on) . The previously saved weight reading will sync automatically.
When and how often should I weigh myself?
We recommend weighing yourself at the same time each day to maximise consistency between readings. Typically, the best time to do this is just after you have woken up and been to the toilet. It’s up to you how often you would like to weigh yourself, however we don’t recommend doing this more than once a day. It is also good to be aware of any potential obsessive tendencies when it comes to weighing yourself. If you’re focusing too much on the scales, avoid taking your weight more than once a week.
These scales are not suitable for people with a pacemaker. If you have a pacemaker, please get in touch with us and we can send you an alternative set of scales.
If you are experiencing any difficulties, please contact Customer Support via the 'Chat' page of the app by clicking 'Speak to Customer Support'. We can assist you with the troubleshooting process and potentially explore some alternative options.